Thursday, September 9, 2010

New Phone - New World

While browsing through Best Buy a few days ago I was looking at the new cell phones and a worker asked me if I was interested in getting a new phone. I told her I was pretty content with the phone I had. She asked what kind of phone I had and I said, "a silver one that flips...?". So I showed it to her, and she laughs (yeah, she definitely didn't win any points in my book).

Here you can see the razzle-dazzle of this legendary phone

Yeah...it even has a camera and can save 50 texts at a time


So, after much deliberation that day, I decided to go talk to the Verizon store and see if I was up for an upgrade (since it had been about three years). Much to everyone's surprise, they told me I qualified for a new phone. My mind has officially been blown. They no longer sell "normal" cell phones. All cell phones--now called "smart phones"--come with internet and a whole lot of ... stuff. So I decide on a phone, the LG Ally.

the upgrade
They started explaining all the different applications (note: they call applications on phones "apps". Why? Apparently it's "cuter"). Can I explain to you the things my new phone can do?
  • I can download any song I want...for free
  • It has a metal detector
  • Google Star Map: I can locate and identify all the stars in the sky
  • Light saber mimicking
  • Bar code scanner (I can compare prices from everywhere in the area)
  • I can check Facebook whenever I want (not to mention Yahoo and YouTube)
  • Voice navigation
  • Other things I couldn't quite understand
Now, I am currently learning a completely new language. A language that turns out to be more necessary than I thought. Now that I have worked with this phone for a few days, I am coming to find how useful it is. 

On Tuesday we learned about the Renaissance, and the importance and power that language played in this revolution. We learned that there became a deep respect and admiration of language. This admiration opened the door to many opportunities, which in turn opened many minds to new ideas that changed the way the world thought. This is precisely what our world now is doing. As we learn more about the new languages that are available to us (such as new "apps", wiki, iPads, skype, etc), we can open doors, and our minds, to an entirely new world of opportunities. 

3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of when someone joins the Church - they have a whole new language to learn!

    Each new experience we have brings with it a whole new vocabulary. Look at the variety of classes we take, and the explosions of new words and ideas that accompany them!

    Looks like a cool phone! I'm up for a new one next Feb, & am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is relevant that you refer to learning to use one cell phone as learning a language -- except that traditional languages are a lot more stable than cell phone hardware or software. Still, I think some things are settling into permanence, such as using a camera on one's phone, and ultimately every phone will be a smart phone with apps and the Internet. Time to start learning the new language...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another neat thing about your phone is its operating system (Android) which allows its users to develop their own customized "apps" for free and make them available on the web if the designer desires to do so. This ability to develop freely may revolutionize the cell phone industry and the tools we gain from it may really benefit our lives in the future.

    ReplyDelete